Volunteering with La Plata Youth Services offers you the opportunity to make a difference in your community by positively affecting the lives of at-risk youth. LPYS serves youth in Durango, Bayfield, and Ignacio, as well as surrounding rural areas in La Plata County. We are a small organization, which allows us to be flexible with each individual that walks through our doors. If you have an interest or prior experience working with youth or youth “at-risk”, we may have a place for you!
YEAR LONG VOLUNTEER POSITIONS
La Plata Youth Services motivates students in La Plata County and surrounding schools to assist in achieving their academic potential. Each student will receive one-on-one instruction in their hardest academic subjects.
- Our program is aimed at helping students fully comprehend the things they learn.
- We provide the tools to help each student learn helpful study skills and test taking strategies while fostering a healthy academic routine.
- Volunteers will be supported, coordinated and scheduled by the Community Outreach Coordinator
Useful Public Service Supervision
- La Plata Youth Services often works with youth who need to do some Useful Public Service out in the community as part of their contract with LPYS.
- Many UPS opportunities require that the youth involved bring adult supervision. Volunteers can chaperone youth to UPS events.
- Some of our clients could use a one-on-one mentor and do not meet the requirements for other programs in the county.
- This would be the most intense volunteer position at LPYS and require the most amounts of time commitment as well as responsibility for the student.
- There will be more intensive one on one interaction with the youth.
Restorative Justice – Community Members/Facilitators
- “Restorative Justice is a process whereby the parties with a stake in the particular offense come together to resolve collectively how to deal with the aftermath of the offense and its implications for the future” – Tony Marshall, Advocate, restorativejustice.org
- LPYS facilitates Restorative Justice Circles with our trained mediators and volunteers to our youth and community organizations who are willing to participate as a part of their reconciliation as victim and offender.
- Volunteers may be trained as a facilitator or sit in on RJ circles as a volunteer community member.
Parenting Class – Childcare
- LPYS has teamed up with Liza Tregillus who is teaching a Parenting Class.
- Volunteer child care providers are needed during the parenting classes.
Bullying Awareness Group Adult Ally
- Help a group of dedicated students to bring awareness to their peers about the impacts of bullying.
- Help facilitate presentations and discussions on bullying.
To apply, please download this Application to be filled out and mailed to 2301 Main Ave. Durango, CO 81301, or emailed to Dillon@lpys.org.
Volunteers are integral to the functioning of non-profit organizations (according to United Way estimates, volunteers in Colorado are valued at more than $20 an hour!). WE GREATLY APPRECIATE AND VALUE ALL OF OUR VOLUNTEERS!
If you’re interested, please contact:
Community Outreach Coordinator
(970) 385-4440 Ex: 22