La Plata Youth Services (LPYS) supports and advocates for youth facing challenges in school, home, or court.
All of our programs and services are geared toward improving supports and resources for youth, increasing assets and protective factors for youth, and reducing the number of youth who enter the juvenile justice system. Youth are referred to LPYS by schools, law enforcement agencies, and the courts. We manage all juvenile diversion cases for the courts including truancy cases for participating schools in La Plata County, coordinate court- and school-based restorative practices and programs, and in partnership with the La Plata County Regional Collaborative Management Program, provide a series of client-centered, community-based programs. During summer months, LPYS offers a positive youth engagement program for middle school students.
“From my experience in youth services, I have learned that if I stay on the right path and achieve my goals I set for myself I will live a better life and become a better person.”
In 2017-18, LPYS reached 651 students through truancy and court diversion services, with restorative justice, and through our partnership with the LPC Regional Collaborative Management Program.
View our 2017 ANNUAL REPORT
Interested in Volunteering/ Employment? Click Here
Southwest Colorado Gives Day is DECEMBER 4!
Donors can visit swcogives.org now and schedule their donation for December 4.
The Community Foundation serving Southwest Colorado is spearheading a regional
effort to increase local participation in Colorado Gives Day. Colorado Gives is an easy, online initiative for donors to contribute to nonprofits across Colorado. Colorado Gives Day, Dec. 4, 2018, is organized by the Community First Foundation, which hosts a year-round, statewide electronic giving platform featuring almost 2,500 Colorado nonprofits (coloradogives.org). Last year on Colorado Gives Day, $36.6 million was donated statewide, with $209,665 going to nonprofits in Southwest Colorado.The Community Foundation serving Southwest Colorado has created a regional platform through Colorado Gives (swcogives.org) which hosts 65 participating nonprofits from La Plata, Montezuma, Archuleta and San Juan counties. Collaborative marketing efforts are underway to get word out to potential donors that philanthropy is just a click away, encouraging people to give where they live.
- Tuesday, December 4 is SW COLORADO GIVES DAY! (11/21/2018) -
- Positive Youth Development Parent Group Training — Thursday, November 28 (11/21/2018) -
- Upcoming Parent Support Group (2/22/2018) - Next week, LPYS’s Youth and Family Specialist, Stephanie Smith will be holding a Parent Support Group in our office at 2490 Main Ave. If you have any questions or would like to join the group, please contact Stephanie Smith at … Continue reading
- Restorative Justice coming to Durango Schools (5/23/2016) - Check out this article about restorative justice in Durango schools. Bravo to Miller Middle, Big Picture High, and Animas High! We applaud you.
- Training Opportunity (12/3/2015) - La Plata Youth Services will be hosting a training event for Motivational Interviewing Check out the MI page for full details!